A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a post about 4 things to do while getting ready for bed and naturally, I thought I should write a post about the things to do while getting up in the morning to make your day better! Now, just like in that post, these are pretty well-known things and I believe people probably already know these things but just like me, forgetting about these things come easily!
- Don’t check your cell phone for the first 30 minutes of waking up. Okay, I know that this can seem really hard because we are all so used to getting up and checking social media first thing, but between the harsh light that comes from your phone and the black hole that is twitter or Instagram, you’ll end up being on your phone for an hour and that’s an hour you could be doing a ton of other things.
- Rinse your face off or wash it. I do this every morning, I simply take a washcloth, put cold water on and then go over my face a few times. The cold water helps to wake up, and the pleasure of washing your face is just an added bonus. Now, you can show in the mornings and it’ll work them same, but I’ve found for me personally, showing in the morning makes me want to go back to be. The way to fix that is to splash yourself with cold water before you get out. I don’t know about y’all but I seriously have no interest in doing that. So I shower at night, usually, and then rinse my face in the morning.
- Have a glass of ice cold water. This works, in the same way, the cold water to your face works, but it’s also been said to help start your metabolism. I’ve been told by basically every health website, doctor, dietitian, that drinking cold water first thing in the morning is key to helping you lose weight. You typically go for 8 – 10 hours of fasting at night, so over those 8 – 10 hours, your metabolism is going to slow down because it isn’t needed. But you defiantly need it to be going during the day so you can burn off the calories that you’re eating.
- Work out before having your breakfast. This is a little more strange and I’m sure a lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I’m not talking about like going to the gym or running, I’m talking about doing a light stretch routine, or a small yoga routine. Just like with the water, your body has been asleep, if you get your heart rate going, chances are when you eat you won’t eat as much. Now, this is me just going off what I personally do, but I think it helps. Usually, in the morning I try and get a good five minutes of stretching in before I start eating my breakfast. Nothing crazy, just a few arm circles, maybe a few baby lunges, just to get my brain functioning.
- Write a list of all the things you know you need to get done that day, so a to-do list. This is something I do more so on the weekend because during the week I don’t really do much that requires a list. But I’ve seen a drastic change in a number of things I’ve been able to get done just because I have these things written down. For me, writing a to-do list just helps me to remember when my to-dos are. Doing this in the morning, those first precious 30 minutes of your day, just helps to make you a productive person.
These are things that I try and do on a daily basis, things that I have personally found to be a great help to have a better day. There simple little things, but when you aren’t used to doing them, it can be challenging. The hardest one for me is not checking my phone. I have sure a bad habit of wanting to check my phone first thing, that I usually end up hurting my eyes. I’m pretty good about not looking at my phone now until I’ve sat down and am eating breakfast, but it’s still so tempting!
What’s the hardest thing for you to do in the mornings? Did any of these help you?
Give them a try and let me know if they help you!
Love, Megan Anne