So the other day at work I had a conversation with a customer that went something like this:
Customer: “So, do you have a boyfriend?”
Customer: “Oh my, you must be so lonely.”
And when I heard this, I had no response. At least not one that wouldn’t end up with my losing my job. I couldn’t believe what I had just been told but then I thought about it, and realized that this wasn’t the first time I had been told this. This was the first time that it was so bluntly told to me, “you must be so lonely”. But in many ways I had been told this before. When people would ask if I was seeing someone and they would just kind of look away or would give me the “look”. But I’m not lonely, hell I’m the farthest from lonely that there is. I figured I’d share some of those reasons (also kind of tips) for every single person out there that is going threw this. So here I go:
- Learn to love you self. Like Bieber said, “…if you love that way you look that much, you should go and love yourself…”. Loving yourself, isn’t wrong. Being able to be alone and actually enjoy your own company is great. In order to be able to be single and feel the need to be someone, you have to love yourself, it’s impossible not to.
- You need to be able to be independent. Now, I’m not talking about living alone, going to the doctors alone, paying your own bills, ect. I’m talking about being able to go to a movie alone, or going to dinner. Being able to do things that you would normally see couple doing together and being able to do them alone. Now, personally, this is the hardest for me. I can go and see movies alone, because that I enjoy, but I still get really nerves going to restaurants alone. I’ve learned how to go to fast food places alone (I used to go threw the drive threw and then eat in my car). I’ve go to eat at restaurants a few times alone, but I still get very nervous. It takes time.
- You need to learn that even though you aren’t with someone, you don’t need to be. You don’t need to be someone, when you start feeling like you need to be with someone, you really aren’t able to find the right one. You feel like you need them there to do anything and everything and that doesn’t quite work.
- You need to realize that sometimes you need to have social interaction. This whole post, I’ve talked about being alone, but truth is, you need to be around other people. It doesn’t matter there relationship status, you need to hang out, have a good time, and enjoy that.
- And last, you have to enjoy being single. I’m not saying go out, get drunk, have one night stands, party on week nights, ect. I’m saying, you need to be able to accept the fact that you are single, accept the fact that not all your friends are, and be able to be okay with it. Still have fun, still enjoy your life. Because it keeps going. And there is no time to be sad.
Love, Megan Anne
<3 <3 <3