Instagram can either be your best friend or your worst enemy. Let’s be real with each other, we’ve all had our moments where we think “why are we even bothering with this?” because I’ve been there too!
Now here is the thing, you really have to put in the effort in order to get the gains, just like in the gym. Nothing happens over night, well unless you go viral, but realistically, nothing happens over night.
So unless you are planning on going viral, you are going to really need to work on what you are putting out.
There are TONS of articles on how to grow your Instagram, and I am by no means saying that these tips are the one that will work. These are the things that I have done over the past 6 months that have really been helping grow my Instagram account.
Also, my account is not one of those accounts that has a very large following (yet) but this is very realistic for the everyday person.
Let’s get into these tips on how to grow your Instagram engagement!
1. Promote Your Post On Other Social Media Profiles. I will be the first one to say that I HATED doing this at first because I thought that it was going to come across as rude. But it’s really not rude, and actually, give people who may not have seen the original post the chance to see it.
Also, it shows that you are super excited about whatever it is that you are promoting and it makes people happy to see you excited!
Now, I am going to be doing a whole post about Instagram Story tips and tricks to using it for self-promotion, so stay tuned for that!
2. Interact with the people you follow. Yes, this is the PERFECT excuse to spend an hour going through your feed, because you can just call it “work”. This is one of those “duh” things, but one way to get people to look at your photos is to comment and like there’s.
Especially if it’s someone that you don’t normally talk to or even someone you just followed, this shows that you are actually an active user! Also, you give what you get. Give some love to someone else and you will get that back in return!
3. Use All 30 Hashtags. You heard me correct all 30 hashtags. With Instagram you can only tag 30 hashtags, now I know that seems like a crazy amount of hashtags to use but there have been actual studies that show the more hashtags you use, the more people will see your photo.
Here are few other articles that I have used to not only find good hashtags but also the hashtags that would work well for the content that I am sharing:
4. Be Active. This goes with out saying, but you need to actually be active and posting regularly in order to actually get anyone interested in your page! If someone looks at your page and you haven’t posted anything in a while, they probably will not follow you.
Posting daily does seem time-consuming and scary, but hear me out. It’s really not that hard to find content to post every day.
Here’s a tip, that I wish I would have known a few months ago, take tons of photos one day and then post them over the next couple days/weeks with relevant captions! And YES people do read the captions on your photos if you do it the correct way!
5. Write a BOMB caption. Now, I will not say that I know everything about this but this is basically the act of using a “call to action“, in other words, asking a question.
Now, this can either be relevant to the photo, so if you posted a photo of a flower, you could ask “what is your favorite flower?” or “comment and let me know what your favorite flower is.”
Or the other option is to ask a question about your caption. So if your caption is talking about your recent blog post you could ask a question that is relevant to what that blog post is about.
Here is an article that talks more about how to optimize your Instagram caption:
6. Post Daily. I know that a lot of people hear this and go “UGH” but I promise, this is one of the best ways to start getting engagement on your photos.
Here’s the thing, with Instagrams algorithm, the posts that show up in someone’s timeline are those that are not only getting likes on them but the ones that are getting comments on them!
But also, it shows people that you are an active user.
I know personally if I go to follow someone and they haven’t posted anything in a few days, a week or even longer, I’m less likely to follow them. I love seeing that people are active and I don’t really want to follow someone that isn’t even posting on a regular basis.
7. Respond To Comments. Yes, even those comments that are only a few words, reply with an emoji, an ‘lol’ but always reply. Here’s what happens when you reply, you are bettering your chance of your photo being on someone else’s timeline.
Just like I mentioned early, see #4, the new Instagram algorithm basically works in the favor of creators who are getting tons of attraction to a post.
So to try and beat the algorithm, you need to start not only getting people to comment on your post, see #5, but you also need to show them that you actually see the comments that they are leaving!
Obviously, this goes for any type of comment, whether it’s the short one-word ones or the long story in the comments, ALWAYS respond to them!
Instagram engagement is one of the hardest things to come by, especially with the new Instagram algorithm, so you have to work on what you are putting out all the time.
Yes, you have to actually work in order to make your Instagram the place that you want, but I promise you will be glad you did it in the end!
Love, Megan Anne
Check Out My Latest Video: