Something I’ve been really struggling to handle and find is a balance. Balance is one of the hardest things to come across in this line of work. If you are a blogger, or youtube, or social media person in any form, then you probably understand what I’m talking about. I do a lot, to say the least. I’m a little bit of everywhere. I’m making youtube videos, I’m writing a blog post. I’m drafting my Instagram feed or trying to come up with something fun to do to keep my followers engaged. I’m a little bit of everywhere and some were along the lines I’m supposed to make time for family, friends, boyfriend and myself. Not always an easy task, mind you.
A lot of days I feel like I have it all figured out, my schedule works out really well. Then there are days when my schedule goes to shit and I’m a mess. Not a hot mess, just a pure mess. Those are the days when I find it really hard to find a balance between everything I have to do. When I can’t find a balance between what I need to do and what can wait for a while.
Here are few tips on how to find balance or to start balancing yourself.
- Take a step back, rethink and readjust. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, you truly cannot figure out what is going on while you are in it. There are days when you will need to just step back and look at the situation from a different perspective. Once you’ve done this, you can take notes on to what is making this day unbalanced. Are you trying to do too much? Are you putting to much time into something that could really be put off until a later time? Once you’ve rethought it, readjust and make those changes.
- Keep some form of a schedule. This doesn’t have to be a planner or planning out each day. This could simply be keeping track of when the last time you went out with your friends or the last time you turned your phone off and watched a movie. This is something I’ve started to do recently to try and make sure that I’m not always saying no to things. It’s so easy sometimes to say “no” to outings because you’ve got a hundred blog things to do but sometimes you need to just say “yes” and make it work.
- Make a list. One list for what has to be done right now. One list for what can be done in a few hours/days. One list for what can be put off for a week/or longer. This is a way to make sure that you aren’t spending time on things that could be put off for the time being. Obviously, it’s nice to get ahead, but if your list is long, you need to work on what needs to be done and not what can be put off.
- Turn off your phone or put it up during outings with friends/family. Put your phone up, be in the moment and be okay without using social media to mark every occasion. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I go to lunch with anyone and they sit on their phone. I personally find that sometimes that only way I truly have time away from social media is when I’m out. Put your phone down and be in the moment, trust me you will be happy you did.
- Take time to yourself. I talk about the 30 minute rule in a recent blog post. If you didn’t read that post, I definitely think you should give it a look over. Basically, the 30 minutes rule is a way to give yourself to time to yourself. I personally believe that everyone needs to take time to themselves and not be on social media or using your phone. But obviously, not everyone has time to do that every day but schedule yourself some time to just relax and give yourself a break.
Balance is a work in progress, there is no one way to have balance.
Love, Megan Anne
Watch my latest video: