What did you do when you first got up this morning? Did you get up and check your phone? Or directly get on your computer? Well, I’m here to tell you, you may be making your day bad by doing this. Many of us here that we shouldn’t be our phones 30 minutes before bed because of the blue light, but what if I told you it’s the same thing for in the morning? That’s where the 30-minute rule comes into play.
So basically what the “rule” is, is that you do not touch your phone, or laptop, for the first 30 minutes of the day and the last 30 minutes of the day. Now I know what you’re thinking “Megan, I’m so busy I can’t spend that much time off my phone” but if you really think about, you can. It’s not as hard as it seems to take a break. Especially first thing in the morning, and it also can help to make you more productive in my experience.
So let’s talk about the benefits that can come from simply taking 30 minutes to be with yourself.
- You’ll fully be able to wake up without forcing and straining your eyes. Have you ever woken up, got on your phone and then your eyes are a burning, watery mess? That’s because you are putting a strain on them before they have had a chance to even adjust yet. Get up, have a cup of coffee or tea. Take some time to reflex on what you want the day to be first.
- You’ll get the chance to look forward to what the day has to off. Like I said before, you will now have a time where you can really think about what you want the day to be. You will now be able to sit down and write out your to-do list. You can talk to yourself and give yourself a pep talk. Whether it is planning your day out for work, or school, giving yourself time to digest what your day is going to be or what is going to happen, is going to make it so much better.
- At the end of the day, you will have time to decompress. Much like in the morning where you will have this set time that you can just spend time with yourself, you will be able to reflex on what the day was for you. You will be able to check your to-do list and see what you did or didn’t accomplish. Maybe you’re reading a book, you’ll be able to get a chapter done before you fall asleep. These last 30 minutes of the day are just as important as the first 30 minutes.
Those are just a few of the benefits because I can promise y’all there are probably 20 more. But those are the ones that I belive are the most important. Now that you understand what the benefits are, you’re probably starting to get on board and now you’re wondering “what do I do with this time?” So let’s get right into that!
- Things to do in the morning:
- Make your coffee or tea & then sit and sip it
- Cook yourself a good breakfast & then let yourself enjoy it without having to take a photo of it
- Think about what you have to do today and then write out your to-do list
- Get a good workout in, if you enjoy working out in the morning
- Meditate and reassure yourself that you can do this
- Things to do at the end of the day:
- Read a chapter of a book you love
- Clean up, wash those dishes or do a quick pick up
- Journal about your day or check your to-do list
- Talk to your boyfriend/girlfriend and ask them how their day was
These are just a few things that you can do in those 30 minutes a day when you have your phone put up. Obviously, you have something else you love to do but you feel like you don’t have time (other than being on social media) put that in your 30 minutes. Just a few things to remember, don’t beat your self up if you can’t always do a full 30 minutes. I know I personally have days where I just can’t wait 30 minutes to check stuff on my phone. I personally like to think of this 30 minutes as my “me time” and that’s how I get my daily dose of it. If you feel like you really don’t have 30 minutes a day to do this, try waking up 30 minutes early and allowing yourself to do this. Which seems taunting and totally not fun, but I promise I’ll have a post coming very soon talking about how I’ve become a morning person.
Are you going to take this challenge, and follow the 30 Minutes rule?
If you so, please let me know! I’d love to know your experience!
Love, Megan Anne
Watch My Latest Video: